Re: GBP and moving to a new upstream release...

On Thursday 09 April 2015 09:21:24 Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> I've been following the steps as best I can here [1] to upgrade my
> package (qpid-proton) to the latest upstream release (0.9). However,
> these steps result in a merge commit (actually, they result in a huge
> set of conflicts) and that strikes me as a Bad Thing (tm).

I've seen such behavior. It always boiled down a previous mistake done with
the git repo.

> Why does GBP try to merge, rather than cherry pick, the upstream version
> onto master? That will always result in an error since upstream only
> holds the original code while master is interim changes to the package.

No. There should be no conflict: packaging activity only modifies files in
debian/ directory which is missing for upstream.

> What is the right way to go about this?

First, fix your git repo before attempting an import:
- watch file is broken
- several files have git merge artifacts (try a «ack '<<<'» in your repo)
- upstream and pristine-tar branches are missing (you may have forgotten to
push them).

If you want other people to contribute to this package, please make sure that
tags do match the released packages (they don't: tag 0.7-2 is missing and the
commit for this release is missing).

Hope this helps

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/