Re: build flags handling

Hello Nico,

On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 00:56 +0200, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> I recently came across a package [1] which ideally would like to
> handle its own build flags (adding `-O3 -ffast-math` for speed, for
> example).
> What is the Debian policy on this?

It is up to the maintainer to set the optimization flags [1].

Note, that it is considered bad practice to set compile flags that limit
what hardware is actually supported, e.g. on i386 you should avoid
globally enabling SSE, since this would make the package unusable on
older systems that don't support SSE.

Unless, of course, upstream already imposes such a limitation (e.g. tbb
requires at least a Pentium 4 on i386).

For some more notes see, e.g. #776812 [2].

Hope that help.
Gert

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776812