to see if the version is good or not.

cheers,

G.

Il Lunedì 28 Dicembre 2015 17:05, Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> ha scritto:
On Monday, December 28 2015, Ben Finney wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

> Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj@sergiodj.net> writes:
>
>> After reading the policy and having a brief chat with Paul Tagliamonte
>> on #debian-devel, the apparent solution would be to rename the source
>> tarball.  Today, it is named "midori_0.5.11.orig.tar.bz2".  My decision
>> was to rename it to "midori_0.5.11~ds1.orig.tar.bz2".  I tried doing
>> that, and my upload got rejected again, because "midori_0.5.11~ds1-1 is
>> newer than midori_0.5.11-2" (which is the latest version on testing).
>
> The problem is you've used the special-meaning “~” separator. That has
> the special meaning that anything with a ‘~foo’ suffix is *earlier* than
> without that suffix.
>
> Don't use the “~” separator unless you know why. (That special meaning
> is very useful when upstream's real version strings are ordered in some
> non-alphanumeric way; especially, when they make version strings that
> they intend to precede a later version that is truncated; e.g.
> “1.2.3.beta1” will precede “1.2.3”. So we can modify upstream's version
> string to “1.2.3~beta1” which will then order as intended.)

Interesting; thanks!  I tried to find more information about the
difference between '+' and '~', but I don't remember reading anything as
good as your explanation.

> If you want a suffix indicating “later than 0.5.11”, a conventional
> separator to use is “+”. So, “0.5.11+ds1”.

I was afraid you were going to say that...

My first attempt was to use '+ds1' instead of '~ds1', but unfortunately
Midori's build system/cmake (I still don't know which one) has a problem
with that.  I cannot perform a successful build if there is a '+' in the
source directory name.  After trying to fix this problem (and wasting
even more time), I decided to use the '~' instead and the build happened
without problems.

Since I can't use '~', I guess another solution would be to use '+', but
to rename the source directory before the build starts.  This would fix
the build problem.  What do you think?

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36