Re: How to find out why debuild -S dislikes dpkg-source --commit ?

Hi,

Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Hmm, you don't detail how you make a change to upstream files.

By editing texts with vim or by copying files from my workstation
into the libisoburn-1.4.2 tree of my Sid VM.

At occasion of release 1.4.0 i afterwards naively applied "debuild -S",
which told me to run "dpkg-source --commit" first. This worked fine
three months ago.
But it seems to be a bad advise if already a patch exists.

Meanwhile i succeeded with production and use of two patches by
operating quilt directly as shown in
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/modify.en.html

Current theory about the original problem:

I get the impression that "dpkg-source --commit" yields a good
result only if
- debian/patches contains no patches yet,
- and the directory libisoburn-1.4.2/.pc does not exist.
  (It gets created in the course of "dpkg-source --commit" or
   "debuild -S". Sometimes it survives the run of "debuild -S".
   Sometimes it is gone afterwards. I fail to recognize a pattern.)

This explains why my single patch for 1.4.0-{2,3} worked.

My first patch to 1.4.2-1 would probably have worked if not the .pc
directory had remnants of the previous 1.4.0 patch. (Still unclear
how it sneaked into my new 1.4.2 tree. I dimly remember to have
run "debuild -S" prematurely, when the 1.4.0 patch was still in
the debian/patches directory.)

Whatever, outdated .pc or not:
The second "dpkg-source --commit" patch reproducibly spoils the
subsequent runs of "debuild -S".

The patches apply to disjoint file sets. So i can juggle with them:
If i reduce debian/patches/series to a single line and remove .pc,
then each of the "dpkg-source --commit" patches works.
As soon as i add the second patch name to the series file,
"debuild -S" complains and demands me to revert that second patch.

I added the quilt gestures to my cheat sheet and will not use
"dpkg-source --commit" any more.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas