Re: Multi super dual licensing

I am an advocate for clearly distinguishing the license *conditions*
from the license *grant*.

Sounds reasonable.

I do this by placing the explicit text from the copyright holder that
*grants* license to perform specific actions, in a “License-Grant” field
in the appropriate paragraph for the set of files. That field is not
part of, but is permitted by, the current “copyright format 1.0”
specification.

Hmm, non-standard but the most reasonable way to do it. Thanks! That's what I'll do.

So:
     Files: path/to/portable-endian.h
     Copyright:
         © 2013–2014 Mathias Panzenböck <grosser.meister.morti@gmx.net>
         © 2015 PkmX <pkmx.tw@gmail.com>
     License: BSD-2-clause or BSD-3-clause or BSD-4-clause or Expat or Apache-2
     License-Grant:
         I, Mathias Panzenböck, place this file hereby into [SNIP]

Oh! Indeed, it's called Apache-2. Since the author said "licenses" (plural!) I'll list both Apache-1 and Apache-2.

[...] One stand-alone paragraph for *each* distinct license text you
have named.

I was aware of that. Good to hear it again :)

- Is my "Expat" interpretation acceptable?

It is commonly held that “under the conditions of the Expat license” is
equivalent to “MIT license”, so long as it's clear the copyright holder
intends to grant those specific conditions.

Is that a yes?

The worst part about this is that the author said "the MIT licenses" (plural!), so I'm going to hope that I don't have to enumerate each of them.

The text above is not, IMO, an effective transfer to the public domain
in many jurisditions that Debian recipients will receive the work. So I
don't think you can list “public-domain” as one of the names.

Hmm. Sounds reasonable. Will do that.

- Shouldn't there be a system that allows the text of "known licenses"
to be left out?

If the full text of a license's terms and conditions is already in
‘/usr/share/common-licenses/’, [... s]omething like this will work:

     License: Apache-2
         On Debian systems, the complete text of version 2.0 of the Apache License
         can be found in ‘/usr/share/common-licenses/Apache-2.0’.

Ah! That's the way to do it. Thanks :)

Cheers,
Ben Wiederhake