Re: Question on how to ITP package not in debian but in other variant for years

On 02/12/15 12:04, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> Here's some questions I have:
> - I usually use git/gbp to packaging. Do I need to keep history of
> original debian related stuff (debian/ directory)?
> - Do I need to ask upstream (Debian based distro) packaging
> maintainer? or it's better to encourage them to ITP? (upstream package
> already existed for years, so I think they might be not interested in
> it)

I don't think there's a simple answer to those.

In the past, I have imported nat-traverse from Grml. Michal Prokop
initially packaged it, but hasn't updated it since, even in Grml, so I
kept the history in the changelog, updated the package and uploaded it.

I have also tried to encourage people maintaining branches of our
packages in their PPA to contribute to Debian directly, but that ended
nowhere and the guy disappeared after we uploaded one release together.
He said, basically, he preferred to do things in his own playground, and
following the rules wasn't exactly his thing.

I think you may keep the history, invite the people to (co)maintain the
package in Debian, but anyway it should be okay to proceed with
uploading to Debian and maintain it yourself (if you're interested).

--
Cheers,
  Andrew