building symbols

Hi everyone,

I'm building the symbols for all libraries in the Trilinos package. Unfortunately, the documentation [1] isn't too verbose here. One thing that has come to my attention, for example, is the fact that some Trilinos libraries appear to contain lots of symbols; including some (all?) of dependent libraries, e.g.,
```
MPI::Op::Free()@Base
```
see [2] (towards the end of the build log).
This amounts to symbols files of several megabytes in size per library. Perhaps something is going wrong at the linking stage? Pointers to more documentation/tips and tricks are appreciated.

Cheers,
Nico

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/advanced.en.html#librarysymbols
[2] https://launchpadlibrarian.net/226924938/buildlog_ubuntu-wily-amd64.trilinos_12.5~20151118181658-wily1_BUILDING.txt.gz