Help: Package upgrade blues.

Dear list,

I cannot get my first package into shape - the upgrade paths fail. The
sad story:

New packages:
    liblirc0, liblirc-dev, lirc, lirc-x, lirc-doc

Old packages
      lirc, lirc-x, liblircclient0, liblircclient-dev.

New packages 'lirc' and 'liblirc0' together obsoletes old 'lirc'.
Furthermore, liblirc0 obsoletes liblircclient0 and liblirc-dev obsoletes
liblircclient-dev.

Trying the split option #8 from [1] piuparts fails with too many
messages for my limited brain (although in the middle of the session
they seem to be installed OK). Has anyone some time to look into this?
piuparts log is in [2], control file in [3]. What goes wrong here, and why?

"scratching my head"

Cheers!

--alec

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PackageTransition
[2] http://ur1.ca/o8hxw   (piuparts log)
[3] http://ur1.ca/o8hxy   (control file)

BTW: The undefined symbol is actually OK. DS