Re: [jitsi-dev] Jitsi in Debian

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> +++ Damian Minkov [2015-10-18 14:17 -0500]:
>> > (Also, you need tackle the embedded code libraries. At least show some
>> > progress! And to avoid getting you on the wrong path, as you mentioned
>> > maven on jitsi-dev -- you cannot download dependencies at build time.)
>>
>> If you mean to get the dependencies out of jitsi, I havn't seen any
>> interest of that from anybody so not sure it is worth the effort at
>> this point.
>
> Debian is very keen on packing each project as a separate package
> (because it is right), not all bundled into one source, or even worse
> repeatedly bundled into lots of sources. So Debian is interested, (as
> are all its derivatives), and we'll do our best to help with
> that. This is much easier if upstream is on-board with that, otherwise
> there can be significant build-system patch maintenance. Are they? (It
> can be acceptable to leave embedded copies if they are only used by
> one project, but in general it's bad (for bloat and security reasons).

If there is interest in any of the packages we will do it. But we
haven't seen it till now and those packages are used only by us. Will
check about splitting the current work in new packages, so we can also
split and the effort.

>> I'm aware of the downloading while building problem, but you mean
>> there is no way to reuse maven stuff while packaging, as the list of
>> dependencies is maybe 30-40 libraries?
>
> Maven and Debian policy go together very badly. If the project doesn't
> already use maven then _please_ don't change to it. It's terrible for
> security and reproducibility. Nothing about getting the project
> packaged would be helped by such a change - in fact it would be a
> major hindrance.

We already done that, adding maven to most of our projects. This makes
the developer life easier, especially when working with several
packages that depend on each other.

>> The problem is that the packaging of such complex project, cannot keep
>> up with the rapid development that happens which at some point is a
>> big problem.
>
> Lots of complex projects manage to get maintained in Debian. So it can
> be done. It is much easier if they use sensible build systems and
> upstream is interested in helping. I am interested in seeing jitsi
> properly maintained in debian so may be able to help a bit (although I
> can't promise much as I currently have a pile of other pending Debian
> work).

Thanks for the encouraging of you all, I will try to start the initial
effort these days and I hope to come up with a working solution the
following weeks.

Regards
damencho