Detecting stray writes in cowbuilder

I've just had a FTBFS bug on a new upload caused by a debian/rules bug
where I was running upstream's make install twice, once without setting
PREFIX. This was causing the package to be installed to $HOME as will as
to ./debian/tmp.

This worked while doing the packaging, because it was silently getting
installed in my home directory; and it worked in cowbuilder, because it
was silently getting installed in the build's home directory and then
discarded; but it was failing on the build servers because the build
server's $HOME is read-only.

Is there a way to make cowbuilder detect writes to places that shouldn't
be written to so this doesn't happen again in the future?

│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*
│ --- as a children's story that happens to be true." --- Master Li Kao,
│ _The Bridge of Birds_