Re: ldconfig in a post(rm|inst) script

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 03:56:57PM -0300, Herbert Parentes Fortes Neto wrote:
> Lintian informs about the use of ldconfig
> in postrm script of libgphoto2. It says even
> where to put the cmd. Good!

before all, be aware that usually lib maintainers don't need to do this
explicetely, since debhelper takes care of adding it itself.

> What I understood reading the manpage is to
> put the cmd without options is enough. Is
> like this:
>
> libgphoto2-6.postrm
> remove)
> 	rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/$PACKAGE.fdi || true
> 	rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-camera-$PACKAGE.fdi || true
> 	rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-camera-$PACKAGE-device.fdi || true
> 	ldconfig
> 	;;
>
> Lintian is quiet now.

Wait, what's this?

debhelper takes care of all of this, the old version added a bunch of
code replacing the '#DEBHELPER#' string, the new one adds a dpkg trigger.

> Debian-policy (8.1.1) says that postinst script also
> have to call ldconfig. But lintian is not complaining
> about postinst not having it.

because the built package does have it, it's a binary check, not a
source check (=you need to run lintian on the built package)

> https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-ldconfig
>
> I put the cmd in libgphoto2-6.postinst:
> case "$1" in
>     configure)
>         # remove old fdi files
>         rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-camera-$PACKAGE.fdi
>         rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/$PACKAGE.fdi
>         rm -f /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-camera-$PACKAGE-device.fdi
>         ldconfig
>         ;;
>

> Doubts:
> 	- follow the policy and put ldconfig in postinst script
>           even with lintian saying nothing about this ?.

You must follow the debian policy, period.
But be aware of what you're doing, debhelper does this thing for you,
but you're expect to already know it.

In this case this is a bit of exception of following so pedantically the
policy, since the recent dh change, dunno if the process to alter that
bit is already started

>         - run the cmd without options on both cases ? Since
>           everything seems to be in standard place.

that's the standard thing, yes.

everything as I said, then :=

> At mentors site, QA information there is a message about
> 'postinst-must-call-ldconfig' for libgphoto2-port12. It
> doesn't have a postinst script.

because it misses a backport and mentors.d.n runs stable, as that very
mail said.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo