Re: How to accomodate test files that move after installation?

Hi Jeffrey,

On 2015-09-30 14:17, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Crypto++ has test files. When they are run from $PWD, them they work
> fine. After installation into, say, /usr/share/, they break because
> the location is an implicit dependency. So the two requirements are
> self test must always run from: (1) the build directory, and (2) the
> installation directory.

I'm not entirely sure I've understood the issue, but are you sure about
the last sentence? It's sounds like you expect (1) and (2) to hold at
the same time. Purely intuitively, I would have expected something like
" self test must always run from: (1) the build directory _at build
time_, and (2) the installation directory _after installation_" instead.

If that is the case, then I wouldn't try to tackler both problems with
one solution, but instead prepare the tests for use in scenario (2),
where there is a general interest and continuous utility, and work with
a modified copy in scenario (1), where there is only a one-time interest
by the buildd. For scenario (2), it would be great if you would also
provide an autopkgtest [1] suite for your package to provide
"as-installed" testing.

If that is not the case, apologies!

[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/

Regards,