Splitting a source package with a new upstream version

Hi,

libfann 2.1.0~beta+dfsg-1 in Debian currently builds a library as
binary package libfann2, and Python bindings for it as binary package
python-pyfann.

The new upstream version 2.2.0 of libfann no longer provides the Python
bindings; they are now provided by an external contributor instead.
(Apart from this, is otherwise a fairly minor update of the library.)

I'm now wondering how to best handle this split.

The simplest solution, as far as I see it, would be to
  1. upload a 2.2.0 version of the library, with the Python bindings
     dropped. python-pyfann currently has a versioned dependency on a
     specific version of the library, libfann2 (=2.1.0~beta+dfsg-1).
     Therefore, The library itself will not be upgradeable without
     breaking or removing python-pyfann.
  2. Upload the Python bindings from the new upstream source, built
     against the new version of the library
  3. After the bindings have passed NEW, both library and bindings
     should be upgradeable smoothly.

Before getting into the other, more complex, alternatives: am I seeing
this correctly, or am I overlooking some important issue?

Regards,
Christian