Re: Suspicious file changes in -dbg between old and new packages

Hi,

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> This is fine. debhelper installs detached debug symbols in a different
> location since compat level 9.

Very good. My sponsor will love to hear that no action is needed.

This raises the next question: How do i make use of libburn-dbg ?
(E.g. for testing whether it works.)

I installed it on amd64 Sid and run

  $ gdb /usr/bin/cdrskin
  Reading symbols from /usr/bin/cdrskin...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
  (gdb) q

There seems to be no other "cdrskin" binary installed:

  $ find /usr -name cdrskin
  /usr/share/doc/cdrskin
  /usr/bin/cdrskin

(I would also advise to compile -O1 or -O0 before debugging.
 Just adding symbols to the -O2 library might not give much
 opportunity for insight.)

> [...] As far as I remember this was done to handle multi-arch better (to avoid
> having -dbg packages for different architectures install files to the
> same location so that they can be co-installed).

I already wondered when i riddled about multi-arch and -dbg.
But at that time i always stared at the old package listing.
Then i saw the strange files and made a strange theory, which
made Jakub say "Um". (Thanks for that.)

> There should be a recent thread on -devel@

Still coping with the evolutionary step from "User:" to
"Uploader:", i think that i'm not yet ready for -devel@.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas