Help, shc newer version packaging

Hi,

The shc package that I'm maintaining has a newer version, and I bumped
into the following problems when trying to package it.

- First, how to deal with the changing source names?

I have a .patch file for the .c source file, however, the way upstream
maintains the source is that it gives a new name to the .c source file in
each version by appending the version number to the file name end, while
using a not-changing symlink file to make the makefile happy.

This trick works for the makefile file but will cause patching to choke.
How to deal with such situation? Is there any patching mechanism to allow
me to do some shell-script operation like the following before patching?

    rm shc.c
    mv shc-3.8.9.c shc.c

Some thing happened to makefile as well -- the previous version was
"Makefile" and now it is called "makefile". That'll choke my makefile
patching as well.

- I need advice on how should I properly name the package.

This needs a bit explanation. The version I packaged was shc-3.8.7
because the shc-3.8.9 version has a critical bug. Now the upstream
release a fix but call it shc-3.8.9b. Shall I named my Debian package
shc-3.8.9b as well, or just shc-3.8.9?

- Finally, to do things properly, should I open an ITP bug then close it
in changelog?

Thanks