Re: don't use sbuild --dist/-d and other sbuild stuff

Hi,

On 31/08/15 15:53, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> for the pure purpose of building a source package, having devscripts installed
> for debuild is not needed. You can instead use dpkg-buildpackage directly.
> Though, if you really just want to build the source package, then even better
> than `dpkg-buildpackage -S` is to run `dpkg-source -b .`. The advantage is,
> that you do not have to have any packages installed which are necessary to run
> the clean target. You probably don't want to install any extra packages like
> that on your host if you are using sbuild later anyways.

Thank you, didn't know that yet. I'll start using that myself and see if
I ever run into any problems.

> It must be mentioned that a common problem with sbuild is, that the .changes
> file it generates will have a *different* distribution from the one you set in
> debian/changelog if you use the --dist or -d option! If sbuild changed the
> value of the distribution field in the .changes file, it will do so in *red*
> but it is still easy to miss this.

Thanks for pointing that one out! I missed that aswell.

For *mentors* this is only a minor issue since only the source package
will get uploaded later on, but in any case the Handbook should teach
how to do it right from the start. Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Something that should also go into the mentors wiki is when to use
codenames and when to use suite names in changelog (for example we write
wheezy-backports rather than stable-backports, but we write unstable
insted of sid). If there's already an official document clarifying this,
I didn't find it.

> Please comment over there if you have a good idea to solve this common mistake.

As soon as I've got something constructive it will be there.

>> I would recommend setting up a local (partial) debian mirror to speed up the
>> package fetching step, but I've gotten weird "500 invalid header" errors when
>> I use apt-cacher-ng, so I'm not recommending this for now.
>
> I am using apt-cacher-ng as well but I don't think I've encountered HTTP 500
> errors so far. Maybe you can investigate the issue and file a bug?

I am investigating, but so far I get them randomly and have not been
able to reproduce them reliably.

Its either something weird in one of my network components or some kind
of race condition, so I'm unable to send any useful bug reports yet.

>> The only sbuild configuration line I *strongly* suggest is
>>
>> $environment_filter = [ ];
>>
>> This will ensure that no CXXFLAGS= or similar from your working environment
>> contaminate the clean chroot.
>
> If you think the default should be changed, could you please file a bug against
> sbuild about that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> cheers, josch

I should have written that a bit more mentors specific.

I believe the default configuration is absolutely fine for the default
usecase (buildd/sbuild machine). No bug here.

Just for the usecase "Individual developer checking for FTBFS" it may
not be what we want:
We might have $stuff in environment (think -Wall -g) that might make
sense in a programmer's enviroment. But when building a debian package
this shouldn't go over to sbuild.
I wouldn't touch the system-wide or even default file, this was purely a
suggestion for the users' ~/.sbuildrc. Sorry if the wording was ambiguous.

- Danny