Re: don't use sbuild --dist/-d and other sbuild stuff (was: Re: Questions before my first upload attempt)

Hi,

Quoting Jakub Wilk (2015-08-31 16:02:38)
> * Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org>, 2015-08-31, 15:53:
> >>From now on, "sbuild --dist sid --arch amd64 path/to/my.dsc" works.
> >
> >It must be mentioned that a common problem with sbuild is, that the
> >.changes file it generates will have a *different* distribution from
> >the one you set in debian/changelog if you use the --dist or -d option!
> >If sbuild changed the value of the distribution field in the .changes
> >file, it will do so in *red* but it is still easy to miss this.
> >
> >The *right* thing to do is to choose the chroot with the -c or --chroot
> >option. The -d or --dist option will do the same job, but the side
> >effect that it changes the distribution field in the .changes file it
> >creates can be a very dangerous one.
> >
> >So please don't further advertise the -d or --dist option anymore if
> >you actually want to use the -c or --chroot option instead!
>
> Um, except that -d/--dist is obligatory. Without it you get:
>
> No distribution defined

indeed I must've made an error when testing this. This just makes the whole
problem even worse...

So now the advise becomes: never let the argument to -d/--dist be different
from what you want to have in the distribution field in your changes file.

This then also puts some constraints on the naming of schroots - unless of
course the -c option is specified *in addition*.

cheers, josch