Re: How much is lintian an expert in english language ?

Hi,

Jakub Wilk wrote:
> See bug #795158.

It seems all to hang at Justin B Rye's statement
  "Most English transitive verbs are pretty easygoing about
   being turned into intransitives like this,
   "to allow" is one of the exceptions"

Sez who ?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/allow
has 5 items of "transitive verb" and 2 of "intransitive verb".

Justin states further
  "(along with e.g. "to merit" - you can't say "does this merit?" - or
   "to recognise - you can't say "I recognise").

I recognize that i have not enough clue to judge the
quality of a given piece of english language.

So probably i will follow Justin's advise:
  "my preferred fix is usually to try to eliminate the word
   "allow" from the text completely,"

I burried "resp." a few weeks ago, i can as well burry "allow".
With low priority.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas