How to build shared + static library of a cmake based project?

Dear Mentors!

CMake offers a configuration flag BUILD_SHARED_LIBS [1], which can be
passed to cmake via override_dh_auto_configure.

This forces cmake to build a shared library. However, for the *-dev
package I would like to also build the static version of it. Which would
mean to invoke dh_auto_configure a second time. But I guess this is not
the way the d/rules makefile work?

Does anybody have a suggestion how to build static + shared version of a
library for debhelper (> 9) cmake based packages?

Thank you in advance
Peter

[1]: http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/variable/BUILD_SHARED_LIBS.html