rules file and build directory

Hi folks,
  the upstream code of my library uses cmake as its build system.
So far there is not too much I have to do to get the package built.
However, I wanted to add tests to the package build and got stuck here
with a (most probably) rather trivial problem.

In order to run the tests in my package I first have to build them (they
are not built by the 'all' target). This requires a non-standard target
(build-tests) of the upstream Makefile to be invoked.
I have two solutions how I can deal with this:
1.) I change to the build directory (the directory where the rules
    file invokes the upstream build system) and run 'make build-tests'
    from within rules.
2.) Find a simple way how to call a custom target of the upstream
    build system from within 'rules'.

I have a rather bad solution for the first solution where the
build directory is hard-coded (bad idea). Is there a simple way
how to determine the current build directory used by 'rules'?

The second solution would be most probably the best one, though I have
no idea how to call an upstream target from within the 'rules' file.
Suggestions are mostly welcome.

Thanks in advance
 Eugen Wintersberger