Re: How or if daemon users should be removed

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 02:07:29PM -0700, Cameron Norman wrote:
> I have a package (apt-p2p) that I want to adopt that removes its
> daemon with deluser in postrm (on purge). This causes issues (piuparts
> complains) because deluser is not essential and dependent packages are
> not guaranteed to be installed at the time of postrm.
>
> So, should I:
>
> * Not remove the user on purge (as I have seen done in other packages)
> * Remove it in prerm after the debhelper section

Many packages leave the user on the system because the local admin
might have assigned files to the user and those files might get
accessible to another user if the UID gets reused.

If you want to make sure, you can check whether deluser and/or userdel
are available and invoke the first binary you may find. If none is
available, leave the user as-is.

Greetings
Marc