Re: packaging Advanced Gtk+ Sequencer - automatic debian build

Hi Joël,

On 06/16/2015 04:28 PM, Joël Krähemann wrote:
> Hi, could someone please take a look at my repository:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-multimedia/gsequencer.git

I am also a member of the multimedia team and have seen your commits
rolling in. You are getting close to having something ready for
sponsorship. But on a quick (not complete check) there is still some
work to do (see below).

> Please tell me what I have to do that it gets processed by the automatic
> debian build system. Further what is still left to do so.

Coming to the mentors list was a very good idea. There are many
experienced guys here that can help out.
The best thing to do next is to prove you can build your package by
uploading the built package to the mentors website. The website will
also tell any reviewer whether you have fixed all the relevant lintian
errors. See here for information:
https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

> Note there aren't any signed tags, yet. Should I rebase and add tags for
> old commits?

Normal practise is to sign a tag when you import the upstream release.
Then when the package is uploaded to the debian archive, there should be
a signed tag for the last commit before the upload.
There is information on tagging specific to the multimedia team here:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia/DevelopPackaging

> best regards
> Joël Krähemann

Now for some comments:
debian/changelog - Your changelog entry looks a little unfinished. It
should close your ITP bug, and as it is a new package it really only
needs one entry which is something like:
  * Initial release (Closes: #nnnn)  <nnnn is the ITP bug number>

debian/copyright - You only list the copyright for files in the debian
directory. You should also list the copyright for the upstream source code.

debian/debhelper.log - This file is the resulting log from a previous
build of the package to help with troubleshooting. It should be deleted.

debian/rules - You should remove all the unnecessary commenting. It is
normally okay to leave the "verbose" option commented out so that it can
be quickly added in when you are troubleshooting.

Some references that you might want to read (again?):
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html
https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide (* as I know you are also upstream).

Keep going!

Cheers,