Re: Maintainer scripts, debconf and Python

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 05:45:10PM +0100, Christopher Baines wrote:
> E: tilelite: forbidden-postrm-interpreter #!/usr/bin/python
>
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/forbidden-postrm-interpreter.html
>
> The above page says that you have to use (sh, bash, or perl) for the
> postrm script. I cannot find any information related to the interpreter
> to use in the referenced Policy section, it just sets out when to use
> Depends and Pre-Depends.
"There is no guarantee that package dependencies will be available when
postrm is run"

> E: tilelite: forbidden-config-interpreter #!/usr/bin/python
>
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/forbidden-config-interpreter.html
>
> This says that the config script can only count on essential packages
> being installed, which directly contradicts Policy section 6.5, which
> says that Pre-Depends may be assumed to be available.
ITYM 7.2. Probably lintian doesn't check Pre-Depends here because it's a
bad idea to set Pre-Depends just because of a postinst interpreter (and
if the maintainer follows the proper procedures it won't be set at all).

> What scripts (config, postinst, postrm) could/should be in what
> language? Given tilelite is written in python (and my python is better
> than my perl/bash), it would be nice to use that?
I don't think the language of the software itself matters here at all.

--
WBR, wRAR