Re: Permissions on sbuild archive

On Sat, 9 May 2015 20:07:29 +0200
Sven Bartscher <sven.bartscher@weltraumschlangen.de> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm currently having some problems with sbuild.
> Doing "sbuild-shell" (without root privileges) results in the
> following message:
>
> E: Access not authorised
> I: You do not have permission to access the schroot service.
> I: This failure will be reported.
> Chroot setup failed
> Error setting up sid chroot
> Chroot setup failed at /usr/bin/sbuild-shell line 42.
>
> My user is in the sbuild group so I should have access to the schroot.
> Trying "schroot -c sid-i386-sbuild" gives this error:
>

> E: sid-i386-sbuild-eaa31b26-e9b3-44f5-9bca-177f09ca1643: Failed to lock
> chroot: /var/lib/sbuild/sid-i386.tar.gz: File is not owned by user root
>
> Doing sbuild-shell with sudo results in this message:
>
> E: sid-i386-sbuild-68d65d6b-82ae-4d24-a67c-40db019eb726: Failed to lock
> chroot: /var/lib/sbuild/sid-i386.tar.gz: File is not owned by user root
> Chroot setup failed Error setting up sid chroot
> Chroot setup failed at /usr/bin/sbuild-shell line 42.
>
> The permissions on the file are as follows:
>
> $ ls -l /var/lib/sbuild/sid-i386.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 sbuild sbuild 169181237 Mai  9 \
> 19:44 /var/lib/sbuild/sid-i386.tar.gz
>
> Who is supposed to be the owner of the file?
> I tried to chown the file to root:sbuild. This worked in the sense,
> that I was able to access the chroot, but it seems that sbuild was not
> able to write the changes I made back to the archive.

I just solved the problem.
I chowned the file to root:sbuild, so I could enter it again.
sbuild didn't actually have problems writing to that file, when it's
owned by root. I misinterpreted that, because the changes I made were
overwritten by a schroot startup script I wrote to automate the change
I tried to make. Unfortunately the script was outdated and I didn't
remember that it might cause trouble.

Regards
Sven