Debconf UNREGISTER and REGISTER

I am getting a "10 No such template" error from Debconf when trying to
use the register command.

This appears to only happen when trying to register a question that
shares its name with a template (hence automatically instantiated),
which has been unregistered (with the unregister command). Does anyone
know why this is happening?

The register command seems to work when used for a question not created
by default from a template.

I was trying to clean up the state in Debconf when I came across this.
The templates I have are used for the addition of configuration, but the
state does not persist within them. It looks something like this (in
reality I am trying to store ~5 values per item):

Templates:
 - package/name
 - package/url

When the user adds an item (called foo).

State:

package/foo/url = bar

When the user adds another item (called baz)

package/foo/url = bar
package/baz/url = qux

Of cause with the above examples, you also have the state in the
package/name and package/url questions. It would be neat to remove them,
and just register them when needed, but I guess the next best option is
to just reset them, if it turns out that what I am trying to do can't be
done?

Thanks,

Chris