response 30 when sending INPUT command to debconf

This happens when the package is installed, and I am running
dpkg-reconfigure. The manpage seems to suggest that this can happen for
three reasons:

"Debconf decides if the question is actually displayed, based on its
priority, and whether the user has seen it before, and which frontend is
being used. If the question will not be displayed, debconf replies with
code 30."

Priority should not matter, since I am using dpkg-reconfigure. I am
explicitly setting the seen flag to false, and I am unsure if its an
issue with the frontend, as other similar questions work.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and is there any way to get more
information about what debconf is doing?