shlib symbolic link to optional lib in lib<foo>-dev ?

Hi,
I'm preparing a new version of package src:ustr (Micro string library)
I decided to package debug variant of shared library now. So I have
libustr-dev and shared library libustr-1.0-1 and libustr-debug-1.0-1.
I don't want to depend libustr-dev on libustr-debug-1.0-1, only
recommend the package libustr-debug-1.0-1.
When libustr-debug-1.0-1 is not installed, the symbolic link for this
variant of shared library is broken.
Lintian report this problem
    http://mentors.debian.net/package/ustr
Is it bad design? May I override the lintian warning?
--
Zito