Self-maintained Debian packages best practice

Hi,

I'm currently hosting my self-maintained Debian packages on GitHub. Here
is my dilemma:

 - It is commonly recommended not to put the `debian` folder within the
source tree so as to make it easier for other distros.
 - So I did. I did not put my `debian` folder within the source tree on
my GitHub.
 - However when building the Debian packages, the build mechanize
anticipate a `debian` folder under the source tree.
 - This means my GitHub repo is not directly usable for my build. This is
nuisance because as a self Debian maintainer, my only focus is Debian,
and I'm building my Debian package all the time, not for other distros.
 - I've dealt with it and actually have a solution for myself, but when I
tagged a release on GitHub, the release .tar.gz file will reflect my
above folder structure, which means the release .tar.gz file from GitHub
is not a good candidate for "upstream source". I'm OK with it, but worry
it might confuse others.

Is there any easy way to manage it? E.g.., can I tell GitHub only treat a
sub-folder for my release .tar.gz file? Or anything? The last thing I
want to do is to separate my current arrangement into two, because when I
change things, the changes will equally spread between the source and
`debian` folder. Separate them into two will lost such internal
connection/logic, E.g.,
https://github.com/suntong001/dbab/commit/
ebfb08674cb4446d05bca5a36d28d76c89c6f9b9

Any suggestions? Thanks