Re: Using the same Alioth git repo for multiple source packages.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:55:20AM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le 19/11/2014 11:21, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2014, Maxime Chatelle wrote:
> >> Is it a good practice to use the same Alioth packaging repository to
> >> maintain two (and later, three) source packages ? Obviously the three
> >> source package come from the same upstream git repository. The point is
> >> to maintain 2 (or 3) development branchs of the same software while
> >> avoiding repository duplication.
> >
> > No, few of the helper tools make it really easy to maintain multiple
> > source packages in the same repository.
> >
> > It's certainly possible but it's not what I would call good practices
> > in Debian.
> >

> Hi,
Hi

> Focusing on the "helper tools" may not necessarily be the only approach.
> I personally only use git, quilt and pbuilder, which would all behave
> fine in this context.
>
> Maxime is talking of several branches of the *same* code, that he
> packages, apparently, in different source packages.
>
> That makes it likely that he will want to apply the same changes to all
> of his branches. Only marginal things like the content of debian/patches
> and the actual name of the packages will differ. That's also what I
> would do, say, to maintain one upstream version in unstable and another
> one in experimental.
>
> In my opinion, in this context, the best course of action is indeed to
> maintain the various branches in the same repo, carefully choosing
> explicit branch names, and avoiding any tools that may have
> unpredictable behaviour.
>
> Maxime, perhaps you can be more explicit about your use case?

The package is cakephp. Upstream maintains 3 main branches: 1.3.x, 2.x and
3.x

I plan to use the following naming scheme for branches:

upstream/1.3.x        (fast-forward only branch feeded by upstream releases)
debian/1.3.x/master   (devel branch, merged into debian/1.3.x/<suite>
                       branches, can be seen as experimental)
debian/1.3.x/<suite>  (wheezy, jessie, stretch, ...)

And the same for other series:

upstream/2.x
debian/2.x/master
debian/2.x/<suite>

upstream/3.x
debian/3.x/master
debian/3.x/<suite>

For tag names, as usual I will use:
upstream/1.3.20
debian/1.3.20-1

I'm not sure which helper tool I will use. I need to take a look at gitpkg.
If I use git-buildpackage, I will add a debian/gbp.conf to inform which
branch to use.

If no helper tool helps me I will fallback to git+quilt+pbuilder.

==========

Beside of that, what is your opinion about maintaining quilt patches
into distinct branches (properly named) and generate the quilt patch
series into a temporary build dir/branch ?

e.g.
export source tree from debian/x.x/jessie branch, then generate the
quilt patches from a set of branches.

(personal opinion: the build infrastructure really needs an usable
source format that uses directly git repositories with signed tag)

xakz
--
Maxime Chatelle
gpg: 5111 3F15 362E 13C6 CCDE  03BE BFBA B6E3 24AE 0C5B