Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Please install the how-can-i-help package and use it when you are
> looking for something to do.

Thanks for the pointer to this. i have looked at all those the sources
it provides, but it does provide a nice layout of the data.

>> How do you see the transition from a mentee to a DM going?
>
> Something like this:
>
> Do a bunch of tasks through the proposed program.
>
> Feel more confident in your knowledge of Debian.
>
> Find some software in Debian that you use that isn't well maintained
> or some software you use that isn't in Debian yet.

Both of these can be difficult. Debian already has a really large
collection of software, and people grab ITPs quickly on new software
that is popular.

It is possible to find packages that are not well maintained, but do
we have an interface for locating them? Even when they are located,
contributing to them isn't always easy, especially if the maintainer
is busy or MIA (assuming the package isn't team maint). I guess we do
have RFAs and orphaned packages, but not a lot of interesting software
ends up there.

> Decide you want to work on that software.
>
> Start working on the package.
>
> Find a sponsor for the package.

This makes the choice of package important. The more active the
upstream, the more uploads needed and the more interactions with the
sponsor.

> Do a few uploads through the sponsor.
>
> Have the sponsor tell you to apply for NM because you are great.
>
> Apply for NM.
>
>> my goal of DM
>
> Personally I would hope you and others would aim towards becoming full
> members of Debian rather than just being able to upload a few packages
> unsupervised.

Yes, that would be ideal but for me, that goal has felt too far out of
reach to really think about.

Regards,
Jordan Metzmeier