Re: reviewed scons

Hallo Helmut,

danke für Dein review.

Am Samstag, den 08.11.2014, 08:53 +0100 schrieb Helmut Grohne:
> Hi Jörg,
>
> I looked into the scons package at
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/scons/scons_2.3.4-1.dsc and
> copy this review to d-mentors for others to join in. Here are some
> comments in random order. Importance at end of mail.
>
> 1. Earlier reviewers have observed that you are using compression-level
>    9 with xz. While xz is already the default, using compression-level 9
>    is actively harmful to machines with little ram. It also doesn't make
>    any sense with a 1MB package. See:
>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/09/msg00013.html

debian/source/options removed.

> 2. I am very uneasy about the following hunk to script/scons:
>
> | +# - running from source takes priority (since 2.3.2), excluding SCONS_LIB_DIR settings
> | +script_path = os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__))
> | +source_path = os.path.join(script_path, '..', 'engine')
> | +libs.append(source_path)
>
>    Importing random python modules from .. is a route to security
>    issues. Even if upstream is keen on keeping this hack to make scons
>    work better when used from source, the Debian package almost
>    certainly should revert it.

Upstream is notified.

> 3. The fix for #760804+#761565 is needed in jessie. Can you prepare an
>    upload to unstable (in addition to your experimental upload) with
>    minimal changes beyond fixing RC bugs?

It's ready. My sponsor get a mail about this.

> 4. d/changelog does not mention the change to the Vcs-Browser field.

done.

> 5. Why does d/copyright list yourself as sole copyright holder for
>    debian/*? It seems that you are not the sole author.

Sorry. Missing authors added.

> 6. I think that it is very unfortunate that you are restricting the
>    license of debian/* files to GPL-3+ when upstream uses Expat. That
>    will make it way harder to forward patches upstream. Please consider
>    using Expat for your contributions to the scons package as well.

No. But I have added the missing debian/patches/* with license Expat.

> 7. Did you forward the manpage-spelling.patch upstream?

At this moment not, but I do it.

> 1, 4, 7 are nice to have, but not essential to fix before uploading. On
> the other hand 2, 3 and 5 really need to be addressed and I hope that
> you change your mind about 6.
>
> You may want to create RFS bugs against the sponsorship-requests package
> to make tracking the state of scons uploads easier.

OK

> Thanks for your contributions
>
> Helmut

Package is not uploaded to mentors. I'm waiting for Adrian, which
package he would like want first.

CU
Jörg

--
pgp Fingerprint: 7D13 3C60 0A10 DBE1 51F8  EBCB 422B 44B0 BE58 1B6E
pgp Key: BE581B6E

Jörg Frings-Fürst
D-54526 Niederkail

Threema: SYR8SJXB