Creating debian/changelog automagically with gbp dch \

Hi all,

Although I'm currently not directly working towards getting packages
into Debian I do hope to eventually so hope this isn't OT.

I have been reading and playing with package building and looking for
the 'best' way to do this. Obviously that is open to discussion but
git-buildpackage seems like a good thing... However I am stuck and no
amount of reading is helping...

What I've done so far:
- set up my repo, with upstream uploaded to the 'upstream' branch (using
git-import-orig)
- created /master' branch with merge of 'upstream' plus a 'debian'
directory with required files

What I'm struggling with:
- creating a proper changelog

Obviously I can create it manually but the automagic creation sounded
like a much better plan. But the problem I have is that I can't get it
to work.

When I didn't have a changelog at all it complained:

gbp dch --release

gbp:error: Failed to read changelog: [Errno 2] No such file or
directory: './debian/changelog'

So I make a changelog (with dh_make) then it complains:

gbp dch --release

gbp:error: Version 0.5.0-1 not found

(upstream was auto tagged 0.5.0 from source tarball so dh_make called
the Debian version 0.5.0-1)

What am I doing wrong? How can I do this better? Any ideas...

Cheers,
Jeremy Davis