Re: Versioning for cherry picked after-freeze RC fixing packages

Am Donnerstag, den 06.11.2014, 17:33 +0100 schrieb Daniel Stender:
> Hi,
>
> I'm searching a procedure for the following case:
>
> 1) against one my packages (it's Deap), currently a "-3" in Testing, a
> RC critical bug has been filed
>
> 2) the fix for that bug is already available together with other further
> developments as "-4" in the SVN repo, I am collecting improvements for a
> future package there,
>
> 3) but only RC critical bug fixes are accepted into Testing now, so I
> thought about creating a package "-4" which only contains the bug fix,
> and push the other changes into "-5" in the changelog, that's easy,
>
> 4) but then, I cannot tag the "-4" anywhere because the SVN commit
> history doesn't match the changelog,
>
> 5) I was thinking about creating a minor version number "-3.1" for the
> RC bug fix, but that's preserved for NMU (Lintian complaint), which it isn't
>
> Any experiences how to proceed? It's going to be sponsored anyway,
> asking the sponsor or the release team to just upload a NMU "-3.1"?
>
> Greetings,
> Daniel Stender
>
> --
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian%40danielstender.com
> GPG key: 4096R/DF5182C8
> 46CB 1CA8 9EA3 B743 7676 1DB9 15E0 9AF4 DF51 82C8

Why not just revert your commits (by applying undoing commits) and then
apply the fixes neccessary to do the RC-4?

After a upload, you can reapply them. The SVN log is not really linked
to the debian/changelog.

A NMU-style version would be wrong, IMHO.

--
tobi