Fwd: [asmlib] - Library of optimized subroutines coded in assembly language.

Hi all,

I have started packaging asmlib.

[1] Original upstream - http://www.agner.org/optimize/
[2] Upstream for Debian - https://github.com/js21/asmlib

[3] Debian git - http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/asmlib.git/
                   git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/asmlib.git

This library will be a dependency of a future package that falls within the Debian Med remit.
The package is called KMC.

[4] Original upstream - http://sun.aei.polsl.pl/kmc/download.html
[5] Upstream for Debian -https://github.com/js21/kmc

[6] Debian git - http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/kmc.git/
                   git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/kmc.git

This in turn will be a dependency for the Virus Assembler (assembling as in genomes, not as in machine code) IVA written in python by a member of my team over at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.

[7] Original upstream - https://github.com/sanger-pathogens/iva

I am now at a point where I have the asmlib code stripped down to a bear minimum. You can see this in [2] and in [3]. It builds only for 64bit intel chips. I might add the 32bit code later in this packaging process.

At the moment, the only file in the future asmlib package is libaelf64.a
A collection of .o files.
I am not experienced in c/c++. But this seems to me like a static library.
Having had a look in [8],

"There are several reasons for providing static libraries, but it is best to avoid it, if it is technically possible"

Would this constitute a lib package, would it constitute a lib-dev package?

This library could be useful for several other developers and so the idea of packaging it together with KMC seems far from ideal and would make it hard to trace back to the original author.

I need some guidance on how to proceed next.

Looking forward to all suggestions and if you need more information, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Jorge Soares

[8] - http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#staticonlylibs