Re: How to package a binary provided by python2 and python3

Hi,

The best practice is indeed to discard the binary in one of the
packages, like your solution 1. However, it is better to use the
python3 version (this is the recommended way now, can't find the
debian-python thread from earlier this year).

If most of your users will use only the binary, they shouldn't have to
know that it's written in python, so you can add an extra binary
package that only ships the binary. In this case, you can also do it
using a virtual package (just add a Provides: fiona to python3-fiona
for example) but I think that it is clearer with a real package.

You can see examples on two of my packages: guessit (first case,
binary in python3-guessit) and subliminal (second case, binary in
subliminal).

--
Etienne Millon