Re: Bug Severity Help

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 10:53:04AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> That sounds of a potential denial of service vulnerability.
>
> How likely is it that Xalan would be used with untrusted stylesheets
> supplied by attackers?

In my opinion, people *shouldn't* be running untrusted stylesheets any more
than they should run untrusted shell scripts or other code.  If we conveniently
ignore that sometimes people do things that are unwise, then I would say the
likelyhood is low.

> If you don't think it would be possible to fix it you can ask the
> release team for a jessie-ignore tag, reportbug release.debian.org,
> choose "3 other", explain your reasoning.

I don't think upstream has the intention of fixing it anytime soon, and I don't
have the time right now to dig into the complexities of the Xalan codebase
myself.  I'll consider talking to the release team about an exception - I
don't think I realized that was an option.

> You could also reimplement the libxslt solution for this in Xalan.

That's an interesting thought.  That would likely resolve the issue as filed in
the bug report against the xalan executables.  However the same problem would
still technically exist in the underlying library code (libxalan-c).  Though,
having never done any programming against libxslt, that might be a longer path
for me than just fixing xalan.

Thanks for your insight.

Bill