Re: video card for packager who must sometimes run unstable?

On 2014-05-31 20:35 +0200, Paul Elliott wrote:

> This may be the wrong list, but I am not sure what the right list is.

The debian-user list suggests itself.

> When I package, I like to run unstable to see if the packages work.
>
> This is becomming difficult because my video interface built
> into the mother board, is becomming poorly supported, although it
> used to work well in debian 6.
>
> I have nvidia c61  GeForce 6150SE nforce 430.

Those chips are a PITA, a large fraction of the bug reports I received
for the nouveau driver are from people who have them.

> I noticed I have an unused PCI Express 16 slot.
>
> I thought I could get an inexpensive video card for that slot
> to work around the problem.
>
> I don't need fancy game graphics and I do not want an unfree
> driver.
>
> But what card to get? The usual Linux compatiblity lists do
> not say how well a card works under unstable.

Because unstable changes all the time, there are always new bugs with
newer kernels and Mesa versions etc.

> So I ask what is a inexpensive video card for a PCI express 16
> slot, that works well under unstable with free drivers?

Myself I have a GeForce 8500 GT which has been working fine for the last
2.5 years (prior to Linux 3.1 and mesa 7.11, 3D was unreliable).  Of the
cards you can actually buy today, Radeon 5450 and GeForce 210 are
probably good choices.

Cheers,
       Sven