To edit an existing quilt patch (fuzz is not allowed when applying patches)

Hi,

I'm trying to manually converted my packages to 3.0 (quilt) source
format, and have gone so far as made dpkg-source recognize my efforts,
with some minor issues:

   dpkg-source -b zh-autoconvert-0.3.16
  dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
  dpkg-source: info: building zh-autoconvert using existing ./zh-
autoconvert_0.3.16.orig.tar.gz
  patching file contrib/xchat-plugins/xchat-autob5.c
  Hunk #1 FAILED at 88.
  Hunk #2 FAILED at 126.
  2 out of 2 hunks FAILED
  patching file contrib/xchat-plugins/xchat-autogb.c
  Hunk #1 FAILED at 88.
  Hunk #2 FAILED at 126.
  2 out of 2 hunks FAILED
  dpkg-source: info: fuzz is not allowed when applying patches
  dpkg-source: info: if patch '01_gcc-3.4.diff' is correctly applied by
quilt, use 'quilt refresh' to update it
  dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t ...01_gcc-3.4.diff gave error
exit status 1

However, I can't fix the problem:

$ quilt refresh
No series file found

cd debian/patches/

$ quilt refresh
No patches applied

$ quilt refresh 01_gcc-3.4.diff
Patch 01_gcc-3.4.diff is not applied

So, how can I use 'quilt refresh' to update my 01_gcc-3.4.diff?

Thanks