Re: Using the same Alioth git repo for multiple source packages.

Le 19/11/2014 11:21, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2014, Maxime Chatelle wrote:
>> Is it a good practice to use the same Alioth packaging repository to
>> maintain two (and later, three) source packages ? Obviously the three
>> source package come from the same upstream git repository. The point is
>> to maintain 2 (or 3) development branchs of the same software while
>> avoiding repository duplication.
>
> No, few of the helper tools make it really easy to maintain multiple
> source packages in the same repository.
>
> It's certainly possible but it's not what I would call good practices
> in Debian.

Hi,

Focusing on the "helper tools" may not necessarily be the only approach.
I personally only use git, quilt and pbuilder, which would all behave
fine in this context.

Maxime is talking of several branches of the *same* code, that he
packages, apparently, in different source packages.

That makes it likely that he will want to apply the same changes to all
of his branches. Only marginal things like the content of debian/patches
and the actual name of the packages will differ. That's also what I
would do, say, to maintain one upstream version in unstable and another
one in experimental.

In my opinion, in this context, the best course of action is indeed to
maintain the various branches in the same repo, carefully choosing
explicit branch names, and avoiding any tools that may have
unpredictable behaviour.

Maxime, perhaps you can be more explicit about your use case?

Kind regards, Thibaut.