Re: Depends on exact version

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Roger Light wrote:
> > Could you try ${binary:Version} instead?
>
> (= ${binary:Version}) can break binNMUs.  Be careful.

binNMUs will cause a few of the binary packages to have a different
debian revision than the rest of the binary packages and the source
packages.

We have a lintian check for this, I think.

One seldom known detail is that the source package version is just a
*default* value for the binary package versions.  You can override it
during build.  It is not just binNMUs.

This is a valid scenario:

source package foo builds binary packages foo_data, foo_dt2, foo and
dt2.

source package: foo 1.2.3+setone-1

foo_data:all 1.2.3-1
foo_dt2:all  setone-1
foo:i386:  1.2.3-1
foo:arm64: 1.2.3-1+b1
dt2:i386: setone-1
dt2:arm64: setone-1+b1

All built from the same source, but both dt2 and foo were subject to a
binNMU later.  dt2 and foo have separate versioning.

This is not usual, but it is both valid and supported.

Here's a real life example: package hplip used to do this when hplip and
hpijs started being packaged together by upstream.  It took a while and
several releases before upstream moved hpijs to the same version
numbering as hplip.

  Henrique Holschuh