Re: debian/control: architecture restrictions for builds

[Please please please use concrete package names. It's hard to reason about abstracts like "libmyproject-subpackage-7", especially if information needed for a good judgment was missing in the mail, or well hidden between the lines.]

* Nico Schlömer <nico.schloemer@gmail.com>, 2014-10-10, 14:06:
I have a large tarball which I configure and compile, and then break up into a number of Debian packages (similar to boost). Unfortunately, one of the components doesn't compile on 32-bit architectures, which means that the entire tarball build fails on 32-bit archs. Now, like I said, `debian/control` lists a number of packages, complete with
```
Package: libmyproject-subpackage-7
Architecture: any
Section: libs
[...]
```
Restricting the architecture to
```
Package: libmyproject-badsubpackage-7
Architecture: amd64
```
only for that one subpackage doesn't cut it.

Yup. So this tells debhelper and dpkg-dev which binary package should be built. But it doesn't have an effect on how upstream build system operates.

Where do place the restriction though?

I guess you'll have to modify debian/rules to instruct upstream build system not to build the bits in question on 32-bit architectures. Or patch upstream build system to automatically disable building of the bits that cannot be built.

--
Jakub Wilk