Bug Severity Help

Hi mentors,

I am the current maintainer for Xalan [1] and could use some feedback with
regard to a particular bug [2].

The bug is currently tagged grave severity due to the possibility of a
user-supplied stylesheet causing an out-of-memory condition  (due to infinite
recursion) and crashing the system.  It has been forwarded upstream and
acknowledged, but not fixed.

I recognize that this is an issue, but I feel that this is an edge case that is
likely not applicable to most users, and that it would be a shame for it to not
be included in Jesse.

Other than trying to fix it myself (which isn't an option for me at the
moment), what are my options?   More importantly, what's the *right* thing
to do from a Debian perspective?

Thanks!
Bill

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xalan.html