Same binary package / different source package

[CC me please]

Hi,

I am trying to solve:

https://bugs.debian.org/760874

Clearly my plan in the long term is to have src:openjpeg2 superseed
src:openjpeg. However most package currently rely on src:openjpeg API
to compile. src:openjpeg2 does break most package in debian archive.

Would that be ok if I rename src:openjpeg2 binary packages to have a
different name (technically even the cli tools from openjpeg have been
renamed) from those of src:openjpeg ? This will make some users doing
an upgrade (in the distant future) unhappy, but it will solve the
current conflict.

Any suggestion appreciated.