Fwd: Re: RFS: java-comment-preprocessor/5.3.3

Forwarding to debian-mentors as I forgot to earlier.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RFS: java-comment-preprocessor/5.3.3
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:37:26 +0100
From: Daniel Lintott <daniel@serverb.co.uk>
To: Eugene Zhukov <jevgeni.zh@gmail.com>
CC: debian-java@lists.debian.org

Hi Eugene,

On 18/08/14 09:52, Eugene Zhukov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I packaged java-comment-preprocessor, which is a dependency for
> Saxon-HE 9.5.1.1.
> The ITP is 757093 (it also has a link to repo).
>
> The package is otherwise ready to be uploaded to NEW, but I need help
> with d/watch.
> I sent email about it to debian-java [1], but no response.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2014/07/msg00036.html

Quoted from [1] above:
> I have d/watch which looks like:
> version=3
> https://code.google.com/p/java-comment-preprocessor/source/list?name=5.3.3
> (.+)\.tar\.gz

This won't work anyway... as it will always retrieve 5.3.3, which
defeats the object of debian/watch which is to show when a new upstream
release is available.

> When I run uscan I get:
> [...]
> https://java-comment-preprocessor.googlecode.com/archive/5.3.3.tar.gz
> failed: 500 Can't connect to
> java-comment-preprocessor.googlecode.com:443
>
> However wget https://java-comment-preprocessor.googlecode.com/archive/5.3.3.tar.gz
> works just fine.
> What do I miss?

The problem is https://java-comment-preprocessor.googlecode.com/archive
doesn't actually exist, it's obviously being silently redirected in the
background... and I can see no way to get a list of tags from a Google
code project that uses mercurial.

Looking at [2] they suggest using the downloads, which upstream have
sort of used... but haven't made a release for 5.3.3 [3].

My suggestion would be to contact upstream and see if they are prepared
to make a source package available via the download mechanism.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

[2] https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#Google_Code
[3] https://code.google.com/p/java-comment-preprocessor/downloads/list?can=1