Raleway and Open Sans fonts in Debian

Dear mentors,

I'm currently packaging the software and artwork of elementary Project for Debian as a Google Summer of Code project. Right now I'm looking into packaging the elementary GTK theme, which requires two fonts to be installed - "Open Sans" and "Raleway".

These fonts are already packaged for Debian and currently reside in "texlive-fonts-extra" package. Unfortunately, this package combined with its dependencies is a 293Mb download and occupies over 750Mb when unpacked. I could make the theme package depend on "texlive-fonts-extra" but a ~300Mb download seems to be an overkill for a <100kB GTK theme package.

Should I request splitting these fonts into individual packages? If yes, how do I do that?

Regards,
--
Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff