Re: Please help reproducing / fixing #751277 on architectures mips*, powerpc and s390x

I posted gory technical details directly to the bug. This mail will be only about general porting advices:

* Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>, 2014-06-13, 12:06:
I think to solve this the help of porters is needed since the build log does not say much.

I don't think many porters read debian-mentors@ldo. A better place to ask for porter help might be one of these mailing this:
https://lists.debian.org/ports.html

That said, we have only a handful of porter, but thousands of package, so it doesn't scale to expect that porters will fix every architecture-specific problem themselves. If possible, you should take the matter in your own hands. :-)

We have porterboxes for every release architecture available to all DDs:
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?sortby=purpose&sortorder=dsc (grep for "porterbox"). And these days, you don't even have to ask anyone to install build-dependencies, but you can do it yourself:
https://dsa.debian.org/doc/schroot/

Don't be afraid! :-) Fixing most portability doesn't require deep knowledge about the architecture. It's often enough to be aware about the basic differences between them, like endianness, bitness, or whether unaligned access is permissible:
https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo

--
Jakub Wilk