Re: Starting an application on login

On 04/06/14 09:53, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> On 06/04/2014 07:24, Cameron Norman wrote:
>> El Tue, 3 de Jun 2014 a las 9:03 PM, Eric Lavarde <Eric@Lavar.de> escribió:
>>> Hi Daniel, On 3 June 2014 20:54:58 CEST, Daniel Lintott
>>> <daniel@serverb.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi Mentors! I'm currently packaging a notification application,
>>>     BuildNotify [1]. It only makes sense to start the application when
>>>     the user logs in, which can be done using the
>>>     $(HOME)/.config/autostart directory or adding an entry using the
>>>     Startup Applications GUI. >From the packaging perspective, is this
>>>     something we should do when the package is installed... or should
>>>     it be left to the user to configure how they start it?
>>>
>> XDG autostart provides for both of these scenarios. You can (and should)
>> install the autostart entry in /etc/xdg/autostart/ for system wide
>> starting of the tray icon. Individual users can disable the entry by
>> making one with the same name in ~/.config/autostart/ with a single
>> line, "Hidden=true", as the contents.
>>
>> I think users installing this piece of software will expect it to be
>> started at boot, and we should do just that.
>
> BuildNotify lets you "monitor multiple continuous integration servers
> with customizable build notifications for all projects".
>
> I would assume it will only do useful work after configuration. If that
> is the case, I think setting up the autostart bits should be done by
> BuildNotify when a user has entered something useful into the configuration.

That is mostly correct... currently BuildNotify needs to be
started/running to access the configuration GUI.

I have found that this is then saved to a file in plain text, which
would mean I could create a debconf scenario to perform the initial
configuration and add the appropriate autostart scripts.

Regards,

Daniel