Re: What do you do when your sid development system stops working?

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 09:33:58PM -0500, Paul Elliott wrote:
> I like to do my packaging under sid, because
> that is where the packages will first have to run, so
> I can test them there.
>
> But what do you do when your sid system stop work
> after doing an apt-get dist-upgrade? X11 stopped working
> no screens found.

When running unstable, you really want some way to restore the system to a
working state quickly.  Ie, backup with convenient means of restore,
preferably ones that work when the system became unbootable.

I'd heartily recommend a btrfs based scheme here.  A traditional filesystem
plus a recovery partition can do the trick, but restore with a single
command is just too nifty to not have if, say, your X relies on nvidia
drivers[1], or some folks upload broken init systems that switch without
warning.

I for one use this set of subvolumes[1]:

boot               /boot
sys-current        /
home               /home

In cron, there is:
btrfs subv snap sys-current sys-`date +%Y-%m-%d`

When shit happens, you snapshot sys-2001-09-10 back onto sys-current and
reboot.  If the system is too broken to give you a shell, you append
"subvol=2001-09-10" to the kernel's cmdline in grub.

This way, you can use unstable without fear.

[1]. They stay broken for weeks whenever a new kernel comes, xorg gets a new
ABI, etc.  But unlike nouveau, they don't crash on my box.

[2]. Plus "cache" for /var/cache, plus "kb-cache" for /home/kilobyte/.cache
(especially a big ccache), plus SSD/HDD micromanaging, plus tens of chroots,
etc, etc.  I'd recommend these three for a start, though.  And you must not
split /usr from /var /bin /sbin /lib /etc or you'll risk them going out of
sync.

--
Gnome 3, Windows 8, Slashdot Beta, now Firefox Ribbon^WAustralis.  WTF is going
on with replacing usable interfaces with tabletized ones?