Static linking policy? (libllvm/libclang)

I vaguely recall that static linking is considered a bad idea in Debian, for much the same reasons that embedded code copies are, but I can't find this actually written down anywhere.

I'm working on packaging pocl (ITP #676504), which uses libllvm and libclang. Dynamically linking libclang makes the package non-functional; dynamically linking libllvm works, but upstream don't recommend it due to https://github.com/pocl/pocl/issues/46 .

Are those sufficient reasons to link statically, and if so, do I need to register having done so somewhere (i.e. "if you update libclang/libllvm, please binNMU pocl")?