Re: Library packaging and missing .a file

On 2014-04-24 08:16, Dariusz Dwornikowski wrote:
> dh_install: libstrophe-dev missing files (usr/lib/lib*.a), aborting
>
> The libstrophe.a file is installed into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu,
> instead of /usr/lib. When should the .a file be installed into
> /usr/lib and when into x86... ?

The new destinations are compliant with the multiarch specification[0].
You're probably using debhelper compat level 9, which automates much of
this.

> My .install file looks like this, however dh_auto_install still
> installs files into x86... because it runs before dh_install. Should I override dh_auto_install and
> depend only on d/install file ?
>
> usr/include/*
> usr/lib/lib*.a
> usr/lib/lib*.so
> usr/lib/pkgconfig/*
> usr/share/pkgconfig/*

It is sufficient to change these to eg:

   usr/lib/*/lib*.a

but you should definitely read the implementation guide[1] to check for
other gotchas, etc.

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation